Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summer Institute Goals

Currently, my classroom is pretty student centered.  We do a lot of inquiry based labs and projects; however, most of these are "guided inquiry" as opposed to "open inquiry".  For the most part, I provide the problem.  Whether a lab or a research assignment, students create the question and develop the procedure, lead the research, and analyze results.  I don't do any open ended assignments, but would like to incorporate some in the 2012-2013 school year.  I'm thinking Google Science Fair.  

I've really moved away from a lot of direct instruction.  Instead, I provide opportunities for students to learn concepts through their own research.  I do post some notes and instruction on my blog.

Are my lesson....

Personalized?  My lessons are personalized in the sense that I allow students to use the apps, resources and references that they would like to complete assignments and projects.  I could work on my lessons being personalized by using "driving questions" that have relevant and meaningful applications to students...I'm getting there.   I would also like to improve my "elaborate" phase of the 7e's.

Individualized?  I'm having trouble distinguishing between personalized and individualized?  

Differentiated?  Yes...project-based lessons that are student driven require differentiation, because each student follows his or her own path.  I would like to further differentiate for advanced students by involving "experts" in the field of study of their project.

Whole class?  No...students work independently or in small groups (4 or less).

Would your students agree?  I think my students would agree that I need to work on having more relevant and meaningful questions to prompt our investigations. 

In terms of technology integration, I think I'm in the "modification" phase and moving to the "redefinition" phase.  I've incorporated technology into all of my lessons.  I've done this in ways that are simple, like emailing worksheets or assignment sheets that have been scanned and using Keynote or Pages for laboratory write ups.  I've also done this in ways that are more innovative by using podcasting and vodcasting to have students "teach" each other, and using Facebook and Blogger to increase communication, collaboration, and lifelong learning skills.

I'm participating in the summer institute to further design and redesign my curriculum.  I would like to develop a Wiki as a learning management system.  I've previously used Blogger, but I don't like how this organizes classroom material.  I would like to continue using Blogger for lesson reflection.  I also want to look at improving my classroom by further developing my PBIL assignments.  Because of the nature of what I'm working on, I will be furthering myself in Learning Environments and Digital Backpacks.  I want to work on a little bit of everything, but if I need to define my project, it would be a Wiki.  

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of a google science fair! Maybe we can discuss this more later? I would love to get my Chemistry students involved too! I am impressed by how you put a picture and a link into your blog, this is something I have no clue how to do. Looks like you learned a lot with the iPad implementation this past year :)

    ReplyDelete