Here's a link to the start of my Wiki: http://jroberson.mssd14.wikispaces.net/
I created new blogs for each course. Last year, I had one blog that I only used for some assignments and notes. I plan to develop my Wiki to replace this with more content. Also, I created blogs for each class under my district gmail account. I would recommend this. Have two different accounts becomes complicated when posting notes and movies from Google docs and Youtube.
I have found that getting this started has some added frustrations with figuring out what or how I want things done...in terms of the classes themselves and the Wiki structure...how should I link my syllabus? how do I want to __________ ? You name it...but I'm working through some of these details, now.
I've also been spending a lot of time figuring out details with implementing Quad blogging into my classes. Here's some information to summarize that: http://quadblogging.net/ Basically, students blog and communicate on blogs from the class and similar classes in other states or countries. This makes blogging a more authentic experience. I found this through Twitter. If you aren't using Twitter for professional development, you should be. There are a lot of great resources from like-minded educators. I don't use it for personal/social stuff...just PD. If you create an account, I'm @JaclynRoberson1.
Also, I found River Watch this week, which I would like to implement as a PBL experience into Environmental Science. In addition to this project, they will work with local experts to complete an open ended service or research project in environmental science.
In terms of NETS Standards, I feel that I've been working on all of them, but I'll say "Technology Operations and Concepts." I feel like I'm starting at "square one" with Wikis. I've really just been working my way around how to do stuff, which I consider being pretty "introductory skill level" and more along the lines of basic technology literacy concepts.
I would like to see your work on quad blogging. That is an interesting concept. It would be great to see kids working with peers to solves problems, peers they've never met. Maybe we could talk sometime about this.
ReplyDeleteGood work on the wiki.
I think you will love quadblogging. Perfect way to have access to an immediate audience. You might talk to Cindy Myers. She participated in quadblogging last year and had great success. I'm glad you like twitter.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to talk with you more about your blogging goals for the year. You may want to investigate techniques that autopost to blogs. This will eliminate the need to copy and paste posts from one blog to another - if they are the same. If they are for different classes, different story. Check out my old 8th grade Earth Science Blog. I think there is also a link to another high school teacher who taught Earth Science that year. We collaborated quite a bit even though our kids were different ages.
Your wiki looks terrific. Evidence of learning abounds. Nice work.