I spent a lot of time investigating the textbook that I would like to use. CK-12 has really improved its textbook materials for upper level sciences, but I think I will be using a traditional book this year. I made this decision based upon my personal iPad and electronic textbook use. My curriculum, assignments and quizzes are online and I find it difficult to switch from one to the next, while staying focused. For students that feel differently, I do have an online version available. I think the hard copy book is easier to navigate with other stuff. I was not tied to a textbook in Physical Science or Environmental Science, but I feel these sciences have a little more freedom and less pressure for future expectations.
I have mostly set up my wiki to have my Chemistry curriculum online. I've also posted district Chemistry EL's which were never on the MSSD website. I want to begin creating my notes slides and recording lectures for homework, so that students can work on problems or labs during class time. I would also like to learn more about how the math classes are using iPads to better serve my students in their Chemistry problems.
Overall, I'm concerned that my use of technology in Chemistry is not as creative as it was in my other courses. I'm struggling the find a balance of time between having students ready for college Chemistry courses and integrating technology. I have learned a lot about how technology is currently used in college science courses, but it isn't in exciting or creative ways. It is mostly in procedural ways involving formatting lab reports and handing in basic assignments.
No comments:
Post a Comment