Thursday, August 8, 2013

Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility: Keeping work in school

The greatest lack of digital citizenship and responsibility that I found in my class was with homework assignments.  Pretty regularly, I received homework that appeared copied from another student.  Many times, the copying was obvious but sometimes, the copying was discrete.  Regardless, it's unacceptable.  So, I have chosen to develop lecture videos for a flipped classroom environment.  Not only does this allow me a greater understanding of student achievement, but it also allows me to control academic dishonesty.  Additionally, working on practice problems, while in class, rather than lecture, notes, etc. gives less time for students to become distracted on their devices.

I've decided to use a combination of ShowMe, Explain Everything, and the Screencast-o-matic.  I think that each app has its benefits depending on the type of instruction I am providing.  Below is a ShowMe video that students will use during the first week of classes to review scientific notation and percent error.

No comments:

Post a Comment